[Coco] AT306 Powerup report

Paul Fitch pfitchjr at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 8 13:00:21 EDT 2007

Ok, got the XT power supply attached.
1.44 meg floppy attached.
40gig IDE HD attached.

On bootup the AT306 reports the following:

Keyboard driver OK
Found VGA card
8-meg memory
Booting from discontinous boot record.

Kernal: Error $00E1
Kernal: Warning! Clock Start FAILED!

(...floppy chugs for a bit)

Then it completes the bootup and gives me an OS9 v3.0 boot prompt, where it
askes for my user name.

Now at this point everything looks fine, except that it doesn't see me
pressing any keys on the keyboard.

I tried the following Keyboards:

Old style 5-pin din XT Keyboard  <-- I forgot that the AT style keyboards
originally used this form factor
Old STyle 5-pin din AT Keyboard.
PS/2 Keyboard with a PS/2 to AT converter plug.
USB Keyboard  with a USB to PS/2 converter ( the kind that comes with almost
all USB keyboards), then a PS/2 to AT converter.

None of them worked.

Now the original Kernal error I attributed to the real time clock not
starting.  Perhaps this is due to a dead RTC battery?  It has a battery
holder that is mounted standing up off of the motherboard, and glued into
position.  The glue was poped loose and battery holder was folded over when
I got the motherboard.  I moved it back into position and used some
superglue to re-attach it.  I did not obnserve any broken connections.  The
battery in the holder is a CR-2025 5V battery.  I'll have to search Radio
Shack for a replacement, since the only ones i have here are CR2032 3V
lithiums.  I don't think they will work.

I haven't tried to boot to the serial /TERM as I don't have a serial port on
my PC.  I ordered one, but it will be the end of the week before I see it.

So, any thoughts on the keyboard problem?  I really want to use this in
console mode, not via a serial port.