[Coco] [Color Computer] Cartridge memory - mapping in and out

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 30 03:48:05 EDT 2007

Mark McDougall wrote:

> My colleague had an idea... put the cart into a special mode where the
> *next* write also writes to the flash... since the flash will be
> programmed in 16/32KB pages, the shadow writes will go to the bottom of
> RAM... of course this would need to be done (carefully) in ML...

Interesting, I might be able to salvage CocoFlash... if I connect RW# to
CTS# via a DIPSWITCH, then I can do as follows...

1. ML program starts up and disables interrupts. Prompts user to switch to
"program mode" on DIPSWITCH
2. With careful use of memory variables and stack, all WRITES will be
honoured on the flash chip, because CTS# is driven by RW#. Since there's
only a 16/32KB window, I can even write to the lower 16/32KB of coco space
to program the flash. Fortunately the chip I'm using has a 0 setup on CS#
and 0 data hold time. Using byte programming mode, I could even use memory
variables in the programming routine, as invalid writes will be ignored -
even if I need to write the reset sequence on every byte.
3. When done, prompt the user to disable "program mode".

Any holes in this?

Regards,