[Coco] Repack

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Oct 21 23:27:03 EDT 2007

At 10:07 PM 10/21/2007, you wrote:

>"Chester A Patterson" <vchester at setec-cr.com>
>wrote in message
>news:0A9B63EA8B906947A409C6F0295CA07EA2EAF5 at setec-server.SETEC.COM...
> > I'm involved in a Coco repack. I've seen some photos where the MPI slots
> > are on the front of the tower, others on the side. The thing is it's not
> > possible to do what is shown in some of the photos without some cable
> > between the MPI and Coco expansion slot. That or some VERY fancy (and
> > convoluted) 90 degree board to board connections. Historical knowledge
> > (and confirmation recently here on another thread) has it that any more
> > than a 1" cable will cause problems. So... How is it done? Thanks.
> > /Chester
> >
> > --
> >
>Just as an aside, I repacked a CoCo3 once with a 6" cable to an MPI,and it
>all worked fine. As a matter of fact,
>the CoCo just recently got retired from the business that had it running. It
>chugged for 15 years with a B&B
>hard disk controller and a Seagate 20 meg drive! BTW, the componants still
>work, the business just
>thought it was time to "upgrade".
>
>Clifford

My "cocotower" repack involved desoldering the card edge connector
and remounting it upright on the motherboard.  This resulted in a
90-degree angle for the MPI board to attach.  The CoCo board sat on
the bottom of the PC tower case using 4 standoffs, and the MPI board
stood up close to the back of the case with a few standoffs to hold
it in place.