[Coco] OS9 Lev1 Ver2

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 19 13:13:06 EDT 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007, Benoit Bleau wrote:
>> Perhaps someone else can shed some details as to why Bootfix is required
>> on the OS9L1 SDISK version (I am interested in knowing about it) and also
>> on Chester's issue here...
>
>That was a while ago, but if I remember correctly, on a DS 40 tracks
>disk, cobbler/OS9gen put the bootloader on the wrong track. I think it
>ends up on side1 track 17. It has to be on track 35 side 0. The bootfix
>utility did just that, moved the bootloader to the correct place.
>
>-Benoit

That's it in a nutshell, thanks Benoit.  I believe it (cobbler/os9gen)
accesses the disk via LSN numbers, and in the DS side of things track 34's
LSN's are doubled.  Note, on SS there is no track 35 as you say because track
35 is numbered 34 since os9 uses a base zero numbering scheme.

Bootfix IIRC did have a bug at one time, older copies of it such as the one I
have apparently do not correct the File Allocation Table, so using that disk
for general storage needs that fixed (see the dcheck output when inspecting
such a disk) else there is a very real possibility of over-writing part of
the boot track with a later write.  Its relatively trivial, and dEd can serve
as the disk editor for that.  Those with a B&B HD kit have ba & bd for that
also, but those are universal tools, needing to be fed the correct data.
There may be other work-alikes about too as we're rather fond of scratching
our own itches here on this list. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)