[Coco] cloud 9 SuperIDE with CF

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Mon Oct 15 10:30:22 EDT 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:12:55 -0500
> From: John T Chasteen <johnchasteen.2 at juno.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] cloud 9 SuperIDE with CF
> To: coco at maltedmedia.com
>
> Frank
> Did you have to add a connector to your LINUX box
>  to be able to connect the CF unit?  I have PC with XP that is
> only 10 months old and I can't see any connectors that looks
> compatable for a CF unit. my hp notebook is a dv9010us.
>
> Cloud9 told me about a solution but I don't understand
> the details yet.
>
> I need to read the Cloud9 doc for SuperIDE and get more
> familiar with the hardware.
>
> Thank for any help you offer
>
> John

As noted by others, there are USB adaptors, as well as PCMCIA adaptors
for CF cards, either of which will work great in your laptop.

There are also CF adaptors which plug right in to an (P)IDE port on a
regular PC motherboard. Both this solution as well as the PCMCIA
solution work on the fact that both the CF device and the PCMCIA port
were designed to be highly compatible with the (P)IDE standard - in
fact, a CF card and the IDE port are nearly pin-for-pin identical, so
most such adaptors are nearly "straight-thru" devices that simply
convert one plug size to another (with very few intervening components).

These devices have made for interesting uses in mainly embedded PC
solutions. They work great with mini-ITX motherboards for use in place
of a hard drive. Some similar solutions actually look like a fat
"dongle", which incorporate the flash memory and adaptor all into one
unit, which make for a much more rugged installation.

Just some more info I thought I would pass along...

-- Andrew Ayers
    Glendale, Arizona