[Coco] Coco 3 pixel clock

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Tue Oct 9 10:50:25 EDT 2007

The Pixel Clock rate for RGB (and Video) are based on the master
clock of 28.63636 MHz (NTSC version).  For a 640 dot mode the pixel
clock is 14.31818 MHz and for a 320 dot mode the clock is 7.15909
MHz.  As far as changing the pixel clock, it's locked to the master clock.

It should be noted that the 512 dot mode uses the same clock rate as
the 640 mode (as does 256 uses the 320) but the unused dots take the
boarder color in place of graphics data.  This is also true with the
different horizontal (line) modes too. The 225 line mode does not
have extra lines over the 192 mode, the unused lines of the 192 mode
take the color from the boarder too.

In my games Super Pitfall and Z-89 (Zaxxon for the CoCo 3), they both
used the 256 by 192 mode to save on memory and update time.  But the
graphics have the same dot aspect ratio as the 320 by 225 mode
because they use the same pixel clock.

Steve (Zaxxon) Bjork