[Coco] No MPI - any suggestions?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Oct 4 10:58:46 EDT 2007

Hmmm.... the bootable CD-ROM was a great idea for the emulator. Beats a "dual boot" system. You could install a second hard drive, format it as a FAT drive, and use it exclusively for the emulator. Good use for an older small HD (heck even 80GB drives are considered small today!).

I recall transferring paks to disk without an MPI. Amazing -- that was 20 years ago!!
You have to tape over the CTS or SCS line on the cartridge -- the one that auto loads it (I don't recall which, but since you've been working on a proto board, you probably do) so the pak doesn't auto activate. You can use a Y cable and read the pak address into memory, then copy to a disk.

Without a Y cable you do the same thing, but carefully pull the pak out and insert the disk controller between the two steps. You MUST insert the disk controller STRAIGHT in or there is a chance the power line can short to an adjoining line. If you look on a cartridge the power line is slightly shorter than the others to prevent this. Wouldn't hurt to trim that land on the disk controller back. There is a small risk of blowing the CPU (unless you trim the power land back), but many of us did it this way "back in the day".