[Coco] cloud 9 SuperIDE with CF

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Thu Oct 11 12:42:23 EDT 2007

Rumor has it that Frank Pittel may have mentioned these words:
>John,
>
>I have to admit I cheat and plug the card into a card reader on
>my linux box. I then use the dd command to read the data off of
>the card. When I need to restore I use dd to put the data back on!

Also very good at making sure you have a backup of all your CoCo stuff.
Very handy!

>This solution works because dd simply reads bytes of data off of the
>device. It doesn't care about filesystems. I don't know of anything like
>it in the windows world though.

Uhhhh... howzabout dd for winders? ;-)

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

However, if you have a "PC-based" CF->IDE converter (can also be had from
Cloud-9) you could also use Norton Ghost (about the only thing Symantec
hasn't completely flubbed up yet) and ghost the whole thing - granted, you
won't have access to individual files/disks with ghost anymore than you
would with dd - and a dd image would be easier to access thru Linux as it's
fully raw instead of wrapped around a proprietary interface.... but it's
another option.

Just my thoughts... ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
  _±±_                          zmerch at 30below.com
(©||®)  If at first you don't succeed, nuclear warhead
  _)(_   disarmament should *not* be your first career choice.