[Coco] Survey of Coco realtime clock users

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Nov 30 22:39:44 EST 2007

On Friday 30 November 2007, Robert Gault wrote:
>Arthur Flexser wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, how'd you go about replacing the battery?  It looked
>> like the battery was potted in epoxy or something and not at all easy to
>> replace.  On the other hand, it was rated to last 10 years.  How long did
>> yours hold out for?  I never heard of a case of one finally giving out.
>>
>> Art
>
>Not sure exactly when I bought it but a expect at least 10 years ago.
>
>Right the battery is potted and I doubt it would be safe to try to
>remove the epoxy. I measured the voltage on the exposed DS1216 leads and
>found several with about 1vDC. The battery is a lithium and should be
>about 3vDC.
>
>Marty Goodman posted some suggestions on replacing the battery but I'm
>not sure he actually did it. While one should remove the battery from
>the circuit, I decided placing a new one in parallel would be sufficient.
>
>Radio Shack has all lithium batteries at the same price so I bought the
>largest one, about 5 to 6 times larger than the one in the Smartwatch.
>Should last 50-60 years :)  Solder connected it to DS1216 pin4 +v and
>pin8 ground. Pre-tested this with two dry cells in series.
>
>Works great!

But that is probably a recharger for the internal lithium cell, and a larger
version of one of those just exploded in Korea, fatally breaking the ribs and
spine of the man who had it in his shirt pocket.  Those button cells are NOT
designed to be recharged, ever.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)