[Coco] Hello!

Ty S ty140 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:47:28 EST 2007

Absolutely amazing!  I could only look at these through an emulator, as I'm without a 5 1/4" drive for my PC and have no disk system for my CoCo.

Thanks for the welcome!  It seems I have a lot of material to review so I don't step on any toes or re-invent the wheel several times.  :)

I can't seem to find a "good" schematic of the NTSC CoCo3, so I re-did the one scanned for the service manual (which is absolutely horrible on my eyes).  It's been remade in PSpice, so the component sizes aren't the same as on the original CoCo3 schematic -- you'll see what I mean, but everything is generally in the same place.

This is a pre-release of sorts, as I haven't marked polarity on the electrolytics yet.
http://www.iit.edu/~sopktyg/CoCo3Sc1.zip

Signals are color-coded as follows:
Red -- RESET*, SND_IN(2), CAS*, RST*, CVIDEO, SOUND, HSYNC, VSYNC
Green -- ECLK, QCLK, WE1*, WE0*, R/W*, P1, 8V, HI
Blue -- CART*, ROM*, CTS*, SCS*, SLENB*, FIRQ*, IRQ*, SERNT

The CoCo3 on an FPGA looks like a step in the right direction for improving the CoCo3 hardware without a lot of expense in design.  I found the designer's homepage, but I couldn't find if it offers (or plans to offer) the expansion ports.

Ty