[Coco] 68 Micro Journal

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Nov 24 15:27:54 EST 2007

David Grimmel wrote:
> How much coco content is in the pages of 68 Micro Journal.
I have 3 issues of 68 Micro Journal I picked up at bookstores back in
the day -- May 89, Aug/Sept 89, and Jan/Feb 1990.  They're really
interesting magazines, and while most of the content is 68K, there is
enough CoCo stuff to keep one interested.  Personally, I'm fascinated by
all the 68K stuff as well.  There are articles on OS-9 for Macs and PCs,
an ad for OS-9 for the Atari ST, articles about CD-i and RAVE, and all
kinds of things.  It just makes one think:  what if there had been a
unified GUI for OS-9 that ran on Mac, Amiga, Atari ST, MM/1, and TC-70?
What if one could have bought OS-9 for any of these systems for
$50-$100, and all those non-IBM-compatible machines could have run the
same software?  There was a time in the late '80s and early '90s when
all those 68K-based platforms could have been unified by a common
operating system... Ah well.

Anyway, there is a Forth column in the later two issues I have that
focuses on running various Forth interpreters on the CoCo, and the
earlier issue has a column called "Basically OS-9" which is about
BASIC-09 on the CoCo 3.  Of course, much of the general OS-9 information
would be applicable to the CoCo as well.

So I think it would be worth adding to your collection, if for no other
reason than to get a sense of the CoCo's role in a broader constellation
of computers used in the '80s and '90s.  I know I'd love to see other
copies of this magazine.  I had thought about subscribing, but never got
around to it, and then it stopped showing up on the magazine rack.  I
wonder if the publishers could be contacted for permission to scan...

JCE