[Coco] Someone trying to ftp

Benoit Bleau benbleau at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:25:10 EST 2007

Kevin Diggs wrote:

> P.S.:  Someone from 218.67.245.189 is tryin' to ftp into my computer.
> How do I find out who this is? (89.43.124.254 too!)

You can use WHOIS to find this out, then you can report the abuse the
the ISP's admins.

I use http://www.arin.net/whois/ to find out.

In you case, 218.67.245.189 is from the following ISP:

    OrgName:    Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
    OrgID:      APNIC <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=O%20%21%20APNIC>
    Address:    PO Box 2131
    City:       Milton
    StateProv:  QLD
    PostalCode: 4064
    Country:    AU

And the abuse http is: http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/abuse.

The other one, 89.43.124.254 is:

    OrgName:    RIPE Network Coordination Centre
    OrgID:      RIPE <http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=O%20%21%20RIPE>
    Address:    P.O. Box 10096
    City:       Amsterdam
    StateProv:
    PostalCode: 1001EB
    Country:    NL

No abuse/admin registered.

Usually these would be hijacked computers, and the owners don't even
know about it. Reporting them to the ISP *might* help, though.

-Benoit