[Coco] CoCos and FDC's

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 11 17:35:31 EST 2007

tonym wrote:
> I know a CoCo3 requires an MPI to use one of the old-school Tandy floppy controller, but
> does the CoCo2 also  require an MPI? I was planning on setting up a CoCo2 in the garage to rinky-dink around with.
>

> Tony

Depends on what you mean by "requires". The critical factor is the
presence or lack of +12vDC at the cart port. The older controllers need
+12v for the disk controller chip. The Coco1 and I think Coco2 have +12v
but the Coco3 does not.

The above does not mean you must have an MPI for disk I/O even with a
Coco3. You can easily add a +12vDC power supply to a Coco with a
regulator chip. You only need an MPI if you want more than one cart in
use at one time. Before I got an MPI, that's exactly what I did with my
Coco3; add a +12vDC supply.

If you can't come up with a circuit, contact me by private e-mail.