[Coco] archivers was Re: Glenside IDE

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Nov 9 04:39:17 EST 2007

>Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:12:31 +0000
>From: Manny <cocolist at invigorated.org>
>
>Although a DSK image isn't compressed is it? It's a 1:1 copy of a disk,
>right? Not that it matters these days much... :)

You're correct, but what does compression have to do with it being an
file archive?  CP/M's lbr, UN*X's tar, ar(*), and cpio don't do
compression either.

Heck, aren't Mac .hqx files an uncompressed archive run through
stuffit?

Around here, zip'ed dsk files are almost as common as gzip'ed tar
files are under Linux!

*Not OS-9 ar, UN*X ar produces .a files that are usually used for
 function libraries. (go fig!)

:-)
Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org