[Coco] 720k 3.5" floppies

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Nov 4 17:54:48 EST 2007

On Sunday 04 November 2007, Joel Ewy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 04 November 2007, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:

yes
>or does it just signal the disk
>controller to jump up to the higher data rate?

That too in some os's, and in one family of 3.5" drives it also 'tunes' the
data recovery in the drive for the higher rate.  These drives are worthless
unless only DD disks are used in them, I've bought a couple of them that were
like that.  But they do work great with DD disks here, so my stash of old
amiga DD disks is slowly becoming coco fodder.

>If only the latter, then
>it should be possible to use HD disks to stand in for low density disks
>-- if you use only HD drives with them.  But if the HD sense hole
>actually causes the drive to 'pump up the volume' then I could see why
>this wouldn't work.

This is why.  Write currents for HD disks are usually 1.75 to 3 times that for
DD disks.  If one knew where the DD write current limiter was in these, it
might be possible to jumper a smaller limit resistor and fix them.  Bear in
mind that the head width differences often quoted are in reference to 5.25"
drives only, all 3.5" drives are 135 tpi, and all tracks are the same width,
only the data rate (and write currents) changes from DD (250 kilobyte) to HD
(500 kilobyte) or QD (1 megahertz).  There were some odd-ball single sided
drives but they saw only limited service in "Word Processors" AFAIK.  Even
those are 96 track drives just like the double sided ones.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)