[Coco] D.L. Logo question

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 22 19:35:05 EST 2007

Let me start by saying I don't know the Logo language and never used it
until the following occurred.

I was given a disk image of what I believe is the original D.L. Logo
disk for OS-9 Level-I. The disk contains a Demo program and several data
files that are part of Demo. I been testing the disk image in MESS and
the odd thing is the program won't run as written; Out of Memory Error.

If this program was supplied with D.L. Logo, it is strange that it won't
run as written. The best I've been able to do is start Logo as follows:
logo #24K
After boosting data memory (default is about 10K) the program will at
least run a single pass to completion. However, the program is written
to repeat in an endless loop. With 24K, the program runs out of memory
on the second pass. I've not been able to give logo more memory nor get
the program to run through more than one pass.

Can anyone owning D.L. Logo provide information on the above? Were there
instructions in the owner's manual on increasing the amount of memory
available to Logo? Is there some garbage clearing command for Logo which
should be used in the program after each pass?

It seems to me that the demo program chews up data space with recursive
routines. I've no idea if Logo has memory flooding or what it does to
clear data memory when a recursive program ends (if necessary).