[Coco] Drive Wire

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 31 20:18:22 EDT 2007

Boisy Pitre wrote:
> Marcus,
>
> You're right.  There are a few other games besides PitStop II that
> exhibit this behavior.  (Glen Dahlgren's games I think?)
>
> My point is that DriveWire isn't to blame here... the authors of the
> games in question are.  Either out of a lack of foresight, ignorance  or
> ego, they chose to write their own disk I/O routines that talked
> directly to floppy hardware.  Hey, it worked at the time because all
> there was then was the floppy controller.  Today, with other storage
> options available, people discover that these games don't work.  The
> fact of the matter is that these authors designed their software to  be
> tethered to hardware that is now obsolete and hard to find.
>
> This may read like a "don't blame me" message, but in this case, it's
> truly justified.
>
> Boisy

It is quite possible that these problems are the result of copy
protection rather than the non-use of dskcon. When Marcus says he copied
game images from a PC to a real floppy and could not run them, the games
may have expected a floppy with a non-standard format.

It just means you need to properly create the floppy and the PC game
image needs to have been of the .dmk type with complete track/sector
headers in addition to data.