[Coco] Drive Wire

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Thu May 31 10:58:02 EDT 2007

Marcus,

You're right.  There are a few other games besides PitStop II that
exhibit this behavior.  (Glen Dahlgren's games I think?)

My point is that DriveWire isn't to blame here... the authors of the
games in question are.  Either out of a lack of foresight, ignorance
or ego, they chose to write their own disk I/O routines that talked
directly to floppy hardware.  Hey, it worked at the time because all
there was then was the floppy controller.  Today, with other storage
options available, people discover that these games don't work.  The
fact of the matter is that these authors designed their software to
be tethered to hardware that is now obsolete and hard to find.

This may read like a "don't blame me" message, but in this case, it's
truly justified.

Boisy