[Coco] Hard Drive Partition

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue May 29 07:00:54 EDT 2007

John T Chasteen wrote:

> Hello Folks
>
> My Super Cloud-9 IDE HD unit is being shipped this week.
>
> How do I partition the IDE HD so I can have RSDOS  and NitrOS9?
>
> All suggestions will be appreciated
>
> John
>
> --

Depending on what you purchased from Cloud-9, you will get HDB-DOS or
need to get it. That is a special version of DOS that contains a
predetermined partition size for the OS-9 portion of the hard drive.
Disk Basic has the OS-9 offset automatically added to any sector
position used by Basic. If you want to work with Basic drive #23 and
your OS-9 allocation is ex. 100Mb, the drive #23 will start at 100Mb +
23*35*18*256 bytes; 100Mb+drives 0-22.

Clearly the size of the OS-9 partition depends on the hard drive and
whether you indicated you intended to use it with Disk Basic. Cloud-9
must be informed as a custom ROM has to be created or some default value
used.

It is possible with a Coco3 (runs in RAM), to alter the offset for Disk
Basic on the fly. This helps with systems having two or more hard drives
of different sizes. Changing the offset values in RAM also permits
having multiple "partitions" of 256 Basic drives on the same hard drive.

There was a white paper I wrote on the Cloud-9 site about working with
more than 256 Disk Basic drives per hard drive.