[Coco] RBF File System Questions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 28 23:53:42 EDT 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007, Bob Devries wrote:
>Darren,
>
>The directory entry on an OS9 disk points to the file descriptor sector of
>that file. In the directory, the first 29 bytes of the 32 for an entry are
>for the filename, and the last 3 are a pointer to the sector where the file
>descriptor lives.
>
>The file descriptor has space in it for 35 "chunks" of the file.

Clarification, Bob.  There can be up to 48 FD.SEG entries.
>These
>pointers are in the format of three bytes for a pointer to the sector, and
>two bytes for the number of sectors. This is referred to as FD.SEG (page 5-4
>in Technical reference). There will not be more than one entry in FD.SEG,
>unless the disk is severely fragmented, or the file has been opened, written
>to closed, etc a large number of separate times.
>
>When a file is created and the first data is written to it, that section of
>the file descriptor will have data pointing to at least 1 sector, depending
>I believe, on the setting of  PD.SAS. Usually the value of PD.SAS is 8, but
>it may be more or less depending on the installation. This value, I think,
>refers to allocated CLUSTERS, which on a normal disk is 1 sector, but may be
>more on very large hard disks.

One way to help the fragmentation problem that I'm fond of, is to reset that
default PD.SAS from 8, to as high as FF(hex), forcing the filesystem to
locate and allocate as many as 255 sectors in one swell foop.  The file may
not actually use that many, and the leftovers will be returned to the free
space pool when the file is finished and closed.  This is far faster for
large file operations than having it open the default, claim 8 clusters,
write them, find its out of disk space and then have to do that again 33 more
times.  And yes, that is in clusters, which may not be a 1, and could be any
power of 2 that will fit in a one byte definition.  Of course, when the disk
is nearly full, then that particular scheme of using a large value for FD.SAS
has to be scaled down.  One can use the free command to determine the ideal
size in that event.

In that regard, dmode is your friend.