[Coco] [color computer] archiving or backing up a hard drive

david_g21120 david_g21120 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 10:59:29 EDT 2007

I use a utility I have called BAK (Sorry I forget who wrote it or
where I got it), it will back up a hard drive to another or to
floppies. and it does a recursive search for files, it willmake an
exact copy of the directory structure including empty directories.

The bak utility requires copy and makdir to be in the execution
directory orin memory.

for hd to hd
bak /h0 /h1 -r

for hd to floppies
bak /h0 /d0 -r

for floppies to hd (this would have to be run for each floppy disk)
bak /d0 /h0 -r

it will prompt you when the floppy is full for another and can be
interupted and restarted, but you have to put the disks that were
created back in the drive in the same order or it will mess up. It
does not compress the files, but simply copies them to the target
drive, and can also be used to restore the files from floppy to a
hard drive later,or restore from another hard drive.

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Bruce W. Calkins"
<blackwolfe at ...> wrote:

> > Heck, it would even be okay if a utility would simply archive the
whole
> > drive to a file, but this would take a month of Sundays to do the
whole
> > hard
> > drive.
> >
> > I'm thinking that creating a DSK image would do that, but I would
rather
> > break it up into smaller files.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >

> > George
>
> For OS-9 I backed my hard drive up useing the command
DSAVE /H0 /H1 ! SHELL.
> RGB-DOS "drives" 4 to 255 was done to floppy disks useing a FOR -
NEXT -