[Coco] CCASM, CASM, MAMOU, EDTASM

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue May 22 23:13:01 EDT 2007

I made a mistake in my explanation of how CCASM produces optimized
indexed instructions.

< and > are used to force 8-bit and 16-bit operands/offsets such as:

lda <symbol,pcr  ; force 8-bit offset
lda >symbol,pcr  ; force 16-bit offset

While the following will result in an automatic 5-bit, 8-bit, or
16-bit operand/offset.  I think that EDTASM generates an 8-bit offset
sometimes when a 5-bit offset is possible, and could even generate a
16-bit offset (the safest asumption to prevent phasing errors) when
doing "forward references" to labels and symbols.  That is,
referencing a label that has not yet been defined in the source during pass 1 !

To the best of my recollection, CCASM can still generate 5-bit or
8-bit offsets for forward references.

--
Roger Taylor