[Coco] Totaly off-topic:ibm thinkpad modem/serial ports

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue May 22 16:23:25 EDT 2007

mike delyea wrote:
> You should completely uninstall all the mwave drivers and software and
> reinstall it.  This is the best way to correct problems with the mwave,
> which is a modem/soundcard combo.

I agree with Mike.  Just to add a little perspective:  The mwave was a
DSP (Digital Signal Processor) chip that IBM put into a bunch of
computers back then.  It was used for sound, modem, and even decoding
JPEGs.  It's a pretty neat little deal -- sort of like the later
soft-modems, except it didn't use the CPU's resources, and it was a more
general purpose DSP.  I think there may have been a software development
kit available.  So it was a much more open, less proprietary system than
the junky "win" (lose) modems that came later.  I have a bunch of IBM
'486 systems that have these mwave boards.

What this all means is that it isn't a generic modem or sound card
though, so you definitely need to get the proper driver and make sure it
is installed properly, as Mike says.  Good luck with it.

JCE