[Coco] TRS-80 model 1 keyboard in CoCos

Darren A. darccml at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 14:09:34 EDT 2007

>From: Mike Pepe
>Subject: [Coco] TRS-80 model 1 keyboard in CoCos
>Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:39:19 -0700
>
>I've got an early CoCo 1 in storage with a typewriter-style keyboard. Has
>all the regular CoCo keys on it.
>
>I happened to notice in the microsoft visitor center here, in an exhibit, a
>TRS-80 model 1, with the exact same keyboard. I never owned a model 1, but
>it's not out of the question to assume that the model 1 keyboard is the
>keyboard in my particular CoCo 1.
>
>Anyone have any insight? is this even possible?
>
>--
-

Mike,

>From what I remember, the Model I has a slightly different keyboard matrix
than the CoCo. It has an 8x8 matrix, whereas the CoCo's is 8x7.  I think the
only keys in the 8th row of the Model I matrix are the SHIFT keys. The other
rows are mostly the same, but a few things have been moved around.

The likely scenario is that the keyboard in your CoCo is a third-party
product made for the CoCo. I have a couple different third-party keyboards.
One of them does look and feel pretty much like a Model I keyboard except
the color scheme is sort of reversed (light-colored keys for the
alpha-numerics; black keys for ENTER, BREAK and arrows).

Darren