[Coco] technical assembler question

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Thu May 17 12:01:16 EDT 2007

Robert Gault wrote:
> Mike Pepe wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> Disk I/O halts the cpu, and the internal loops must be run with
>> interrupts disabled. So, yeah, your program will probably only be able
>> to look for a break key between sector transfers anyway.
>>
>> well, at least not without going to a lot of trouble
>>

> But you could rewrite the NMI routine to include a BREAK key check. That
> won't hurt disk I/O.

Yes, but as I recall, the NMI routine isn't called until after the disk
I/O (sector transfer) happens, so what I said is still true. I suppose
it depends on what your definition of "during disk I/O" means!

To me I think of it as a sector transfer, because that operation is
essentially atomic in DECB.