[Coco] resurrecting 5" disks

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon May 14 01:07:33 EDT 2007

Bob Devries wrote:
> In the process of trying to make images of my Colour Computer disks, I
> have found quite a few which howl when put into a disk drive. Even some
> disks which have been carefully stored, seem to have accumulated a
> deposit on the surface of the magnetic media.
>
> I know there are others who are trying to do this; what method has been
> used to clean up and read those disks, and what success rate has been
> achieved?
>
> I have carefully wiped the disk surface with a moist soft cloth, and
> allowed the disk to dry before trying to read it again, with some degree
> of success.
>
> How have other people fared?
>
> --
> Regards, Bob Devries, Dalby, Queensland, Australia
>
> Isaiah 50:4 The sovereign Lord has given me
> the capacity to be his spokesman,
> so that I know how to help the weary.
>
> website: http://www.home.gil.com.au/~bdevasl
> my blog: http://bdevries.invigorated.org/

Bob, if the disks are crushed, and you're looking to make a "final"
backup, I've peeled off one of the sides of the jacket and carefully
removed the disk itself, loaded that carefully in the drive and
recovered it.

Wear cotton gloves if possible.

It works.

Also back in the day I remember a lubricant spray that used to be sold
for 5.25" disks, but I doubt you'd find that today.

-Mike