[Coco] This_looks_cool_-_Apparently_RUNs_FLEX_but_uses...

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed May 9 03:29:45 EDT 2007

>From: jdaggett at gate.net
>Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 17:56:58 -0400

>SWTPC and GIMIX were more flexible in that cards were easier pluged
>in and out. The Coco's MPI and it limited functionality really is not
>conducive to real expansion of peripherals.

Of course, terminal-based backplane machines have their downsides, as
well.

>I have used Flex and have seen it work. It is not a bad OS and now
>that most of the software has been released to public domain, there
>is far more usable software than with the Coco.

Interesting.  Tell me more.  I understant FLEX is vaguely CP/M like,
but that doesn't really mean much...

You see, I kind of have this idea that a CoCo 3 FLEX would be the
perfect platform for GCC to compile for.  Something that's not as
multitasking as OS-9 (better for arcade games), but has more
functionality than the BASIC ROMs supply.

>I used to have Flex on 8 in Floppies but I no longer
>have 8 in drives and the system I had is no lobger functional.

Unfortunately, my only machine with 8" drives is an obscure CP/M
machine, and programs to do things like read another OS's disks tend
to be very machine specific, so I doubt I could do much with your 8"
disks.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA