[Coco] Mice and The CoCo, Public Domain Library and 6809 Assembly

Travis Poppe tlp at LiquidX.org
Tue May 8 00:35:26 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 09:27:12AM -0700, coco at yourdvd.net wrote:
> Second, I was thinking about putting together a CoCo public domain
> library. I know it isn't necessary because anything you want can
> probably be found in the half-a-zillion .dsk images across the net.
> The only motivation I would have for this is to have a SORTED &
> Documented Library to save time in looking for specific files, etc.

I think this is a great idea. I have thought about doing this many times
over myself, but I've never had the motivation to do so. It'd be great
to have a central, organized location for CoCo software on the web
(preferably in .dsk format as opposed to scattered .BAS and .BIN files
everywhere). The vast majority of software I have access to is on 5 1/4"
floppy disks that are inconvenient to use.

Don't know what to say about the copyright issue, however. I really
can't believe it's that big of an issue for such old software. I do
believe it's important to respect the wishes of the copyright holders,
but are there really that many folks out there still concerned about
their copyrighted (and dated) CoCo software? Has there been a massive
attempt at contacting them and getting permission for redistribution?

Perhaps you could team up with the other guys on the list who are
archiving those ~400 disks.

My two cents.
--
Travis Poppe