[Coco] Disk Conversion for Carey

Carey Carey at cebridge.net
Mon May 7 23:17:44 EDT 2007

Andrew;

>I am working the project in several stages, of which I am currently only
>on the third step:

Just as long as progress is being made.  I remember when this was originally
discussed and a number of people were rather eager for some of the stuff.

Since I hadn't heard from either you or Tim since the beginning, I wasn't
sure how things were going.

(By the way, Tim contacted me today and said he's got about 67 of them done.
Once all these things get done, I guess the CoCo community is going to need
to test all this stuff before you two guys throw away the original
floppies.)

I know all this is tedious, and I'm sorry.... But the two of you *did*
volunter! (grin)

I knew how much trouble all this stuff would be and I didn't want to do it.
That's why I was going to throw the disks away.

I guess it's better for the people actually active in the CoCo world to do
all this, since you are the ones that will benefit from any forgotten or new
stuff.  I just don't have enough interest in the CoCo anymore for it to be
worth the effort.

>copy of the floppy (BACKUP, SPIT-N-IMAGE, and other utilities - many of
>which I found on your floppies!) to a "new-old-stock" floppy to pull the

I did have quite a collection of disk backup stuff.  Several versions of
Spit-n-image plus I think there was one or two other copy programs that
could do protected stuff.

Plus a few regular stuff that just stored it into ram and copied it.

>I have so far converted around 150 or so of the RS-DOS floppies in this

It sounds like you are making progress...  I'm sure others will be happy to
hear that.

>certain that I will scan every floppy, my scanner is nowhere near fast
>enough. I will, however, scan the "interesting" ones, plus any that have

My old scanner was a usb 1.1 kind that was pretty slow.  I burned it out
scanning about a thousand pages of computer program listings last year...

>notes on them (of course). Once all of that is completed, I will package
>it all up on a CD-R or something, and send it to you to look over, then
>we can decide on how to release it for general usage (if you want).

Or I can download it, or whatever.

I'm not going to be too picky, other than if I stumble upon something
personal that shouldn't be distributed.  That's pretty much my only real
sticking point.

Carey