[Coco] End-of-Line Character

Manney mannslists at invigorated.org
Sun May 6 13:35:58 EDT 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 03:54 PM 5/5/2007, you wrote:
>> With the CoCo, I cannot remember for the life of me what constitutes
>> the end-of-line character in DECB. Does it use CHR$(10) or CHR$(13) or
>> both? It's been way too long since I worked with this.
>
> I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies, but the CoCo uses only a single
> character (13) for the Carriage Return.

Yeah, I've had answers. Then corrections to my mis-rememberings. :)

> I think this is probably the biggest stinkin' issue with computer file
> compatibility, ...  I think any OS that does this was purposely
> designed that way as a rebelious act. :)  It just goes to prove that
> nobody really sticks to the standards anymore.

Standards? Can you give me a standards page? I'd be interested to see
who rebelled.

> Even some of the text file converters are a nightmare, making you
> specify command-line switches as if you already know what format the
> file is in.  There's also the issue of whether 10 comes before 13 or
> after.  Maybe we need a command that lets you specify -fromwindows
> -tolinux, or -fromlinux -tococo, etc.

Well a -tococo would be the same as a -tomac. (Thanks Joel!)

A few years ago this wouldn't have even been an issue. I wrote a C
function or two to correct for Windows / Mac / Un*x end-of-line
character(s). But I gave them constant names like KEY_ENT or KEY_RET. I
think I should have done ASC_10 or ASC_13 or LINE_FEED, etc. Ah well,
you live, you learn... I think. ;)

-M.