[Coco] trouble writing disks

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu May 3 23:55:19 EDT 2007

mike delyea wrote:
> Just got my floppy system and I'm having problems getting Jeff's port
> program to write to coco disks.  First I formatted a disk with the
> coco and
> then TYPED in the "GETROM.BAS" program, saved to disk, ran it and got the
> ROMs.  DSKINI0, DIR0 and LOAD/SAVE "GETROM.BAS" all worked perfectly.
> Took
> the disk back to my low-end IBM with Jeff's emulator on it and ran
> port but
> it gave me a "READ ERROR ON TRACK 17, SECTOR 02".  Next I used Jeff's
> dskini
> program to format the disk in the IBM and tried to send "GETROM.BAS"
> to the
> floppy but got the same error.
Mike,

You didn't mention whether you have tried different floppy disks.  It
just sounds like a bad disk to me.  You do mention that you appear to be
able to read the file back from within RS-DOS, but obviously there is
something wrong, and the error message is pretty specific.  A different
floppy might work.  Weirder things have been known.

It does seem odd that this problem crops up using the self-same floppy
drive.  So often this kind of thing is a result of the track alignment
and who-knows-what-all else not matching up between two different drives...

JCE