[Coco] Mice and The CoCo, PD Library and Sub-Etha stuff -- Attn: Allen Huffman!

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu May 3 00:25:46 EDT 2007

coco at yourdvd.net wrote:
> The only problem with the scroll wheel in a device such as this (will
> attach to the joystick port) would be that it would have to emulate
> either the right or left coco mouse button and the scroll function
> would have to  emulate either the left or right movement of the mouse,
> but it could be implemented.
Ah, of course.  I was letting my mind wander a bit back to serial mice.
I finally found a mouse that will work with both PS/2 and serial (with
an adaptor) protocols, and also has a wheel.  I've got boxes of mice,
and this is the only one like that among them all.  Unfortunately,
somebody slathered on a half bottle of cologne before using the thing,
and even after repeated cleanings, it still makes my fingers reek to use
it.  It's kinda like gas pump handles.  They wouldn't be so bad if they
only smelled like gasoline!  :)
> I only wanted to make this so we could
> have a ps/2 mouse to replace the coco mouse and still work with 100% of
> the coco software. Under os-9 it would be best to wait for mark's
> superboard and use it's ps/2 ports - with the proper driver, all
> buttons and wheels could perform specific functions. Soon as I get a
> schematic together, I'll send you a copy to let me know what you think
> and then i'll put it together and test it. Anything I end up developing
> will be free to the community so anyone can build or i can build for
> them - it's all in fun and here's to the greatest 8 bitter of all time

Cool.  Which issue of N&V has the PIC mouse interfacing article?  I've
got to have it around here in the piles and stacks.

JCE