[Coco] a bit of coco trivia

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Thu May 24 23:55:12 EDT 2007

G'day fellow coco nuts.

While I was scanning the pages of Chromasette for archiving, I found an
intersting comment from Dave Lagerquist in the April 1983 issue:

"How do we duplicate the 6000 or so cassettes we send out each month? Rose
just doesn't sleep! Really, the programs are read off a disk and sent
through a line amplifier to 30 cassette recorders hooked up in parallel. The
recorders are controlled by a Color Computer through the microphone jack.
The 'random' clicking of 30 buttons lets us know that the tapes are done and
that it's time to put in some more blank ones. A heck of a way to make a
living..."

Wow, think of it. If each cassette was just 10 minutes long (it may have
been more, because Dave always saved two copies of each program), that would
equate to 34 hours of time, plus the time taken to re-load the blank
cassettes. I guess that was in the pre- fast tape duplicator times.

I wonder where Dave is now?

the capacity to be his spokesman,
so that I know how to help the weary.