[Coco] Rainbow IDE

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon May 14 19:33:53 EDT 2007

Hello gang,

I've been working hard lately to improve the features of the Rainbow
IDE.  One user succeeded somehow in adding a C compiler that followed
up with assembly, etc. but not sure about linkage.  This was with the
IDE being just aimed at assembly mainly.

Rainbow 2.0 should allow you to add your own compilers, assemblers,
and linkers, all called 'builders' (for now?), and the system won't
discriminate so a builder can actually be any kind of command-line
tool that takes a source file and translates it into an object
file.  The goal is to make the IDE work in harmony with all of these
components without requiring any makefiles.

The M.E.S.S. issue has been fixed, so launching works, and I've made
some provisions for when the M.E.S.S. system or the imgtool.exe
command changes again.  You'll be able to customize the M.E.S.S.
interaction stuff if you want, but the defaults are set to work
perfectly if you just point to the M.E.S.S. executables.

For those using Rainbow 1.x and can't get M.E.S.S. to launch, just
find a copy of M.E.S.S. .104b or a near version and put it in a
different MESS folder like MESS104b :) then point the IDE to that, so
you can keep your newest version of the emulator for when Rainbow 2.0
is released soon.

--
Roger Taylor