[Coco] Hey! They stole our beloved machine's nickname!

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Fri Mar 30 09:44:37 EDT 2007

From: James Hrubik <jimhrubik at earthlink.net>
> Well, that brings up the question again.  Is there a trademark or
> copyright registration on "CoCo"?  If not, the possibility exists
> that WE could be forced to stop using the term.  Not too likely, with
> the history behind it, but possible, and to defend our use, if push
> came to shove, would require a willingness to respond in court.

If there ever was a trademark (I know damn well Tandy never registered one, but there might have been one registered for "Hot Coco" magazine), it has long expired due to lack of enforcement.

Hell, I avoided using the term for two decades, considered it almost as disrespectful as "Trash-80".  It still takes me an effort to abbreviate Color Computer.

> On Mar 30, 2007, at 7:48 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > On Friday 30 March 2007, Fedor Steeman wrote:
> >> This is SO not a CoCo:  http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/coco/
> >>
> >> They even mention a CoCo2 and a CoCo3! HOW DARE THEY!!
> >>
> >> Greetz,
> >> Fedor
> >
> > Not to mention the ultimate insult, it runs on winderz.

Nah, the _ultimate_ insult would be running an OS-9 development environment and/or emulator under OS/2.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

UC Davis apparently shares Bamforth's love for the beer science. His "Introduction to Beer and Brewing" course is the third most popular class on campus. Who knew there were so many would-be biochemists out there? (The most popular class at the university is about sex. The professor of brussel sprouts and early morning jogs could not be reached for comment.)
                        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/24/uc_davis_beer_professor/>