[Coco] OT: HTML validator

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Wed Mar 28 22:14:58 EDT 2007

Diego Barizo wrote:
> I just tested that validator. If I follow their recommendations in a
> frame page, I end up with visible borders that I don't want.
> If I do as I always did, and my HTML editor suggests, it works OK,
> tested in IE6, and 2 Geko browsers....

If you're relying on things that don't validate, there's no guarantee
that future versions of the same browser will render it even remotely
the same. Relying on quirks mode (which is the non standards compliant
mode of a browser where it tries to emulate bugs and non-standard
behaviours from previous versions) is asking for inconsistent results.
In firefox, for example, you can find out if the page is rendering in
quirks mode by looking at the "Page Info" option in the context menu.

All in all, it's better to go for standards compliance so there is a
good chance that future versions of the same browser (*cough*IE7*cough*)
do not totally bork the rendering of existing pages.

William Astle