[Coco] Importing CCRs

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 21:09:55 EDT 2007

David Roper wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi David, and odd you have exactly the same name of someone I work with :)

> Just a quick Q - the only 'standard' item missing from my CoCo kit at
>  the moment is a tape recorder. I've got the cable to run a CCR, just
> no CCR..
>
> My question is, if I was to buy one off eBay from the USA and try to
> use it in Australia.. will it work? I seem to recall they ran of a DC
>  adapter (of whatever voltage). Would an Australian DC multi-adapter
> fit the CCR and be able to run it?

Well I'm in the UK and have both the CCR-80a, which is a US model, so
120V, but runs quite hapily off a wall wart. I also have a UK model
CCR-81, which of course runs off the mains, or a wall-wart.

IIRC Australia, also uses 220-240V AC, so maybe it might be worth
checking on ebay.co.uk for one, if you can find someone willing to ship
it to you.

> What about batteries? the Aussie CCR's use 3 or 4 1.5v batteries
> ("AA")

Yeah the 80a and 81 seem to too, pretty standard for the time actually.

> Of course, if there's anyone in Australia with a spare CCR they'd
> part with for reasonable cash..

Alas not :(

Cheers,

Phill.