[Coco] [CoCo] Atari and Amiga comparison

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Wed Mar 14 19:09:26 EDT 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:50:52 -0600, Torsten Dittel <Torsten at Dittel.info>
wrote:

> Hey, wasn't that "TRS-80CC"? I hope so, that's why I registered the
> http://TRS-80.CC domain. Funny enough ".CC" is the TLD of the CoCos
> Islands... :-) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocos_%28Keeling%29_Islands
> ).
>
> Quoting from 'The "CoCo" Chronicals (Jul'80 - Jun'92)'
> (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/coco/text/history.html ):
>
> "The name, TRS-80, stands for Tandy Radio Shack, the 80 is a result of
> the Z-80 cpu in Tandy's first computer, the Model I. Because our machine
> uses a 6809 cpu, it should have been called either a TRS-68 or a TRS-09
> Color Computer but, what's in a name? Some, nicknamed it the TRS-80CC,
> other the TRS-80C, still others the 80C but it was Dave Lagerquist, in
> October's Chromasette, who first used the name COCO. This innocent
> enough action set of a "name calling" debate lasted for several months
> through-out the ever growing "CoCo" community."
>
> Looks like the "name calling" debate started back in 1984 ;-)

    Oh, it started way before 1984. By then, it was already settled (I
think the final nail in the coffin is when Wayne Green's "Hot Coco" first
issue came out in 1983).
The basic premise was: "Coco" sounded to childish, and "80C" was
technically incorrect, as their is no Z80 in the  Color Computer (unless
you purchased one of several CP/M Z80 boards for it, anyhow....)

--
L. Curtis Boyle