[Coco] Cool Idea

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Sun Mar 11 05:05:50 EDT 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 10:33 AM 3/10/2007, you wrote:
>> Roger Taylor wrote:
>> >

>> > Some of the content management systems I've been looking at are
>> based on
>> > some popular wiki systems.  I plan to at least add an articles page
>> > where users can submit their own material with photos, etc.  It's time
>> > to kick it up another notch.
>>
>> Just remember it's an easy SPAM target as well. :)
>
> Needless to say, there's really nowhere to run from spammers.  All we
> can do is keep plugging the leaks and keep on going.
>
> There are some real good graphics generators for entering the passcode
> you see scrambled in the colored boxes, but this won't keep manual
> drop-in spammers away.  Word filters are already used in the chat rooms
> and forums and I can put something similar in an articles system to help
> combat spammers and trash entries.

I wasn't saying that a wiki was a bad idea, by the way. I was just
relating what I've heard other wiki owners yell after a little while.
Even on some semi-popular ones, like the Tkinter (for Python) wiki, I've
seen it get through. (I cleaned that one up not too long ago. Someone
saw it, and didn't do anything about it but complain. :P )

-M.