[Coco] Disk interface?

Darren A. darccml at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:08:45 EST 2007

>From: Torsten Dittel
>Subject: Re: [Coco] Disk interface?
>
> > The controller appears to be a CoCo FD-500 (long case with a WD1773). In
>the
> > picture showing the back of the box, it looks like the cable enters
>directly
> > through the bottom (no connector).  I would guess that someone has
>modified
> > the box so that the drives could be connected directlly to the CoCo
> > controller.
>
>ACK. I just had a look here:
>http://vt100.net/mirror/harte/Radio%20Shack/TRS-80%20Model%20100%20Disk_Video%20Service%20Manual.pdf
>That beast has the controller (WD1791 type) inside (connected to a Z-80A
>type CPU).

-
Yes, the Model 100 DVI had an internal CPU and controller. However, in this
case, it looks like they have probably bypassed the internal controller by
connecting a ribbon cable to the drive(s) and run it out the back of the
case so it could be connected to the CoCo FD-500 controller (pictured).

Anyone interested in bidding on this may wish to inquire if the internal
controller is still present (although it is unclear if the seller would be
able to determine that).

Darren