[Coco] RELIC Is Coming (was Re: [ON TOPIC] The Amsterdam Compiler Kit)

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Fri Mar 2 10:22:07 EST 2007

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:33:16 -0600, Dean Leiber <adit at 1stconnect.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:42 AM, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
>
>> OmniBasic is/was a commercial endeavor that was pretty close to BASIC09
>> (it was originally a basic compiler for OSK), that was cross-platform
>> between OSK, DOS, Windows and Linux. They were starting on a native
>> Windows only version again (I have a very early beta), but development
>> of that seems to have stopped. We use the cross platform version 2.1
>> here at my work, and have since Omni-Basic for DOS 1.43, and early 1.2x
>> versions on OS-9000.
>>

> If I'm not mistaken, the gentleman who designed the TC-70 Tomcat for
> FHL	was involved with the creation of Omnibasic, hence the OSK support.
>
> Dean
     Michael Smith was the one man show behind Omni Basic... and I just
found out that he died of a heart attack a couple of weeks ago. Innomation
Systems is supposed to get back to me on whether they will try to continue
the project without him. He was recoding Omni for Windows only (the Linux
sales from 2.0-2.2 were not that good), and it was compiling straight to
assembly, with no C code in the middle. I have a very early beta of that
compiler (we were on the official beta list from 1.27 for DOS, and on from
there), and it did compile faster and made smaller executables, but at
that time (December, 2003, version 0.2), it was a VERY limited beta
without a lot of functionality (basically, just to show us which direction
he was going in). When I hear from Innomation, I will let everybody know.
I do know that the new version was a complete rewrite from the old...
--
L. Curtis Boyle