[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: 128 or 512?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Mar 1 15:43:20 EST 2007

I think there's some terminology confusion here.  Individual flash
memory chips, like the ones used in a PC's BIOS, are certainly byte
addressable (at least for reads).  But when flash memory is used in a
Compact Flash card, there is additional circuitry (maybe on the chip,
maybe in a separate chip?) that allows multiple megabytes to be accessed
via an IDE-compatible interface, so you don't have to bring all those
address lines out and have a 150-pin connector.

The issue of limited writes is also important, so neither Compact Flash
cards nor individual Flash ROM chips would be good candidates for
interfacing with the CoCo as RAM.  Write speed is probably also slower
than writing DRAM.  But using individual Flash ROMs to replace ROM-based
software on the CoCo is certainly feasible, and really captures one of
the best qualities of the CoCo (instant power-on availability) while
eliminating the inflexibility of permanently fixing firmware in ROM.
And of course Compact Flash cards on an IDE interface make good
low-power, silent, small mass storage units.

Oh, and FWIW, I have two 512K CoCo 3s and 1 128K.  Back when I ran
Multi-Vue a lot that 512K came in very handy.  Having a nice big RAMdisk
for temporary storage really sped up things like the C compiler.  I'd
love to see more games that make better use of more than 128K.  And
there'll still be plenty of stuff to run on the old 128K machine.

JCE