[Coco] CoCo temperature monitoring

theother_bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 10:37:26 EDT 2007

Hey everyone,
ISTR an old article in Hot CoCo or TCCM about using the CoCo joystick inputs to read the temperature using thermistors. I haven't dug out the article yet, but I'm pretty sure I still have it. Meanwhile, has anyone done this and have any practical advice about how far I could run remote sensors from a CoCo joystick port?  Another thing I'd like to try is a remote microphone connected to the Cass input which could be monitored for high/low noise levels (specifically it should be able to tell if some cooling fans are running at low or high speed.)

In case you can't tell, I am wanting to monitor (and log) temperatures in different rooms with the possibility that the CoCo doing the monitoring could alert me somehow (perhaps a phone call from the Speech/Sound Pak) if my server room is getting too hot. (We had an A/C failure that just cost us an $850 motherboard in an HP server with 6 redundant fans. Ironically the cheap PC clones next to it handled the heat just fine!)

TIA,
Bob