[Coco] File size from Disk Basic

theother_bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 10:26:37 EDT 2007

That's one idea I have... mainly I want to make interchangeable joystick ML subroutines that would automatically crop and scale joystick values, and give me numbers for graphic and text positions at the same time. This would take a little overhead out of the program ond probably speed up the interface a little... although it's surprisingly smooth working as-is. There would be a routine for stock joysticks, one for Tandy Hi-Res, and maybe the other hi-res adapter. The loader detects which stick you're using and selects the appropriate "driver" at load time, then saves the selection in a "global variable" so various modules know what to do.

Also I plan to separate more of the functions out into smaller sub-modules, such as the file Copy-Move routine. This basically means that I need to make it a script-based module that will load different basic modules, perform that module's function on the files listed in the script and then restore the main module... all while maintaning a consistent graphic display. The Copy-Move routine is probably most important to squeeze into a small module to free up memory for the actual copying process. Move is just a flag that tells it to erase the original after copying. I also want to work on a more compatible way to launch software from the gui, again starting with a smaller sub-module, and possibly allowing some sort of scripting, say to do a few POKEs before loading, or even after a LOADM but before EXEC... so you could maybe automate the 255 life cheat on Ghost Gobbler for example.

Other plans for a future release include using the HD as virtual memory, switching to 640x200, 4-color mode, and I may require 512K. Not sure on that yet, but it would definitely allow me to speed some things up by having them in memory.

I feel capable of writing small joystick routines for example, but to convert most of this program to ML is beyond my abilities at this point. Besides, I'm kind of proud of the smoothness that this Basic gui demonstrates... no flickering cursor, no sluggish movement. It's quite responsive and is a giant "in your face" to people who claim Basic can only work in a linear fashion, can't be modular, blah blah blah. Please nobody start a flame-war with me over this, I love programming the CoCo and will probably keep coding in Basic as long as my fingers will let me.

These are a few of my ideas... and to Fred P, I haven't forgotten your request and that will definitely be a feature in any new release.

Cheers,
Bob