[Coco] [Color Computer] My Vintage Computing Files Archive

Hex Star hexstar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 01:20:06 EDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Brian Blake <random_rodder at yahoo.com> wrote:

> After looking this over, I've gotta say I'm not interested in access ing
> information from your server. I'm not interested due to the requirement of
> me having to open a port on my firewall to allow the KDX server access to my
> system (not to mention the KDX client asking to make the changes to my
> routher as well) just so I can view your server. I'll stick with FTP,
> torrent and IRC, none of which does my firewall have issues with.
>

> Brian

Yes that prompt can be alarming and unfortunately can give people the wrong
impression, however that feature can be ignored safely without imparing the
usefulness of KDX. There is no requirement whatsoever to open a port in
order to use the kdx client. What that prompt and port is for is for dcc
connections or more specifically for connections used for voice chat. KDX
can support voice chats with users however this is a infrequently used
feature and thus that port can safely remain closed.

Again please ignore that prompt, there is absolutely no need to open any
ports at all to fully utilize the kdx client and thusly enjoy what my server
has to offer this community, I apologize for any confusion that initial
prompt may have caused