[Coco] [Color Computer] Ira's Archive (trs-80.com) Available For Download

Charles Richmond cybercunx at tx.rr.com
Fri Jun 22 10:50:42 EDT 2007

On Jun 22, 2007, at 8:37 AM, Derek wrote:

> I am the one who distributed the DVD set in the 1st place after IRA
> granted permission to me personally via e-mail. I did ask 1st.
>
> I am at a loss on a couple of points here. From what you message says
> you think it's ok to get the files from IRA's site but not ok for
> someone to distribute the EXACT same files in a different way? I could
> see you being angry if hex_gmail was trying to sell the archives but
> he isn't. If you took a moment to look at all the archives he offerers
> on his ftp not just the TRS-80 stuff you would see his intentions are
> to preserve and share vintage computer software files. I for one am
> grateful.

There is something I want to add here. I *certainly* am in favor
of preserving the old software (and hardware) and making the old
software and manuals available for download.

But in accepting Ira's generous permission to re-distribute the
contents of his archive, I think it is *very* important for
everyone to remember how much effort and labor Ira has invested
in this archive over many years of working on it. Scanning books
and magazines, and creating .pdf files, is *very* labor intensive.
Getting all the disks processed and transformed into .dsk files
takes a lot of labor and a lot of time.

Ira has a real life, with a real family, and real responsibilities.
There were many other ways he could have used his time. So I think
it is important for *everyone* downloading information from Ira's
archive to really appreciate the effort Ira put into it, and to find
some way himself to give back to the TRS-80 community.

That's my two cents.

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |