[Coco] [Color Computer] Ira's Archive (trs-80.com) Available For Download

Derek dml_68 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 09:37:32 EDT 2007

> I've more or less stayed out of this till now, but AISI, this is a more
> blatant copyright violation than anything else we've ever done in
this group
> under the guise of "Preserving history".  Ira has made it plain that
*you* do
> NOT have permission, and that should be as far as it goes.  If any
of my work
> is in that collection (and I do not know, but its possible since I did
> write/re-write some useful tools for os9), consider this as a Cease and
> Desist notice.
>
> Considering that it supposedly takes kdx to access this, and that a
legal copy
> of kdx is $30, I consider this just another spam by a wannabe
spammer.  Cease
> and Desist this activity also.
>
> >--

> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> <wli> sleep is such a waste of time
>
> 	- excerpt from #offtopic (the #kernelnewbies off-topic channel)

I am the one who distributed the DVD set in the 1st place after IRA
granted permission to me personally via e-mail. I did ask 1st.

I am at a loss on a couple of points here. From what you message says
you think it's ok to get the files from IRA's site but not ok for
someone to distribute the EXACT same files in a different way? I could
see you being angry if hex_gmail was trying to sell the archives but
he isn't. If you took a moment to look at all the archives he offerers
on his ftp not just the TRS-80 stuff you would see his intentions are
to preserve and share vintage computer software files. I for one am
grateful.

As far as your Cease and Desist "order" goes it is laughable that you
would think it is in any way legally binding. You need to show proof
of specific files that you own the copyright on being shared. Then you
would need to have a lawyer serve Cease and Desist notification the
the people sharing and the ISP which hosts the files, along with logs
proving that they were indeed breaking the law by sharing. To put a
general message in a public web forum saying "Cease and Desist sharing
anything I wrote" without specific file names or proof that it has
even been done is laughable. I don't know where you are from but in
the USA that I live in there is still something called due process.
May want to look it up.

I for one enjoy finding and archiving vintage computer material. I
will continue to share with the community. There are some of out here
who do this kind of thing out of love for the old systems and as a
hobby. Not as a way to make a profit or to take food out of other
peoples mouths.

Out of respect for you as a CoCo software programmer if you say please
and provide a list of your programs and proof of them holding a
copyright I will remove them from any future sharing that I do. Maybe
you could post a listing here and on coco3.com stating which ones you
do not want shared.

None of us are here to hurt each other. We are just a group of old
bastards that enjoy vintage Radio Shack computers. Our wives don't
understand why, our kids think anything without 16 billion colors and
head shot kills is lame. Lets try and keep this hobby serene and
enjoyable without a lot of unnecessary pissing and moaning.