[Coco] [Color Computer] Ira's Archive (trs-80.com) AvailableFor Download

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Thu Jun 21 16:22:36 EDT 2007

At 03:46 PM 6/21/2007 -0400, James Hrubik wrote:
>Dennis -- any comment? What is the liability of a mail list server if
>it allows advertising of illegal activities?  I raise the question
>because Ira has already made HIS wishes known, and Gene has spoken
>for HIS creations (in the event they are in Ira's collection).  A
>suit can be brought by any attorney on a fishing expedition, but have
>there been any similar cases adjudicated that you know of?

Similar isn't the same, but there have been many successful 'takedowns'.
The course is to file a DMCA Takedown Notice with the ISP, who is then
required by law to block the offending material, page, or site until the
matter is adjudicated.

I am no fan of the DMCA, so I wouldn't do this. And since I've already
placed all my material in the public domain, there's no reason to.

However, if anyone seriously objects (including Ira, whose opinion is very
important in the community), I would support that path.

Dennis

Please participate in my 2007 project:
http://maltedmedia.com/waam/
My "We Are All Mozart" blog: