[Coco] Hitachi HD63C09 Question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jun 21 09:50:17 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007, George's Coco Address wrote:
>Since you've asked this before and no one has replied, I would assume that
>no one has tried it, or won't admit to it.
>It is an interesting query.

I have a 6309 in my coco3, but have not tried it at lower voltages.  The gime
in particular would seem to need a full 5 volts, and may even be happier on
more than that given it propensity to show you how well the interrupts are
working with its video flickering as it is, the interrupt line is so badly
overpulled that when an IRQ is asserted, the 5 volt line is pulled down
several millivolts which in turn causes a video flicker.

As for the 6309 itself, I would assume, from the rise and fall times observed
on any output pin, that it would be capable of 3.3 volt operation  at normal
bus speeds, if not at an octave plus above them.  I have, on my 100 mhz dual
trace scope, observed 10ns rise and fall times while running on its normal 5
volts, actually about 4.88 from my psu since one elderly AT psu is running my
whole system.  If this sort of performance is achieved internally, I have no
doubt my 3mhz rated 63C09 could run at 20mhz.  But to test that we'd have to
build a test system using some other video as the gime simply cannot keep up,
its output drivers are far too puny, and incapable of a rail to rail swing in
anything less than microsecond time frames.  A WP-RS, running on its own
internal clock, would make a suitable test beds video I believe as it could
be fed data at a much faster rate than the stock coco3 can manage.  That's
text only of course but a character written to it once per pass through the
test loop would serve as a watchdog I'd think.  It would make an interesting
experiment.