[Coco] drivewire surprise? Re: Chromasette

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Fri Jun 1 07:40:32 EDT 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 11:17 PM, Steve Ostrom wrote:

> Boisy, if I typed DRIVEOFF in order to access the floppy drive on
> my Coco, but then typed COPY "EXAMPLE.BAS:0" TO "EXAMPLE.BAS:10"
> would that work to transfer any file from my Coco to the PC?  Will
> other regular HDB-DOS commands work the same way with DriveWire's
> special HDB-DOS?  The manual only mentions the command DRIVE#n, so
> I thought that this special version of DriveWire HDB-DOS was very
> limited in transferring programs, but worked really well to
> actually run Coco programs that were .dsk images on the PC. This is
> really cool !!

Steve,

HDB-DOS for DriveWire implements all of the same commands that HDB-
DOS for SCSI or IDE does.  What you propose above will work just fine.

> Is there also a BACKUP 0 TO 10 command, for example, to copy an
> entire floppy drive 0 to the PC virtual drive 10?  Just wishing !!

Yes of course.  It's so easy that I'm surprised you didn't just try
it. :)

> Remember when I hand-assembled my HDB-DOS harddrive backup ML
> program a few years ago?  It works great to backup every file from
> one Coco HD with 256 virtual floppy drives to a second Coco
> harddrive of the same size much more quickly than BASIC could do,
> which takes forever.  Would a modification of that ML program work
> with DriveWire, so that I could copy everything from my Coco
> harddrive to the PC?  I'm guessing not.

The program you wrote should work without modification under HDB-DOS
for DriveWire.  HDB-DOS is HDB-DOS, whether it is talking to a
DriveWire server, a SCSI drive or an IDE drive.  It just works!